2 a flat circular plate [syn: disc]
3 sound recording consisting of a disc with continuous grooves; formerly used to reproduce music by rotating while a phonograph needle tracked in the grooves [syn: phonograph record, phonograph recording, record, disc, platter]
4 (computer science) a memory device consisting of a flat disk covered with a magnetic coating on which information is stored [syn: magnetic disk, magnetic disc, disc] v : draw a harrow over (land) [syn: harrow]
- dĭsk, /dɪsk/, /dIsk/
EtymologyFrom Ancient Greek δίσκος (diskos) "a circular plate suited for hurling", from δικείν (dikein) "to hurl, to launch".
- A thin, flat, circular plate or similar object.
- A coin is a disk of metal.
- Something resembling a disk.
- Venus' disk cut off light from the Sun.
- A vinyl phonograph / gramophone record.
- Turn the disk over, after it has finished.
- A floppy disk -
removable magnetic medium or a hard disk -
fixed, persistent digital storage.
- He still uses floppy disks from 1979.
- computing nonstandard A disc - either a CD-ROM, an audio
CD, a DVD or similar
removable storage medium.
- She burned some disks yesterday to back up her computer.
Usage notesIn International English, disk is the correct spelling for magnetic disks. If the medium is optical, the variant disc is usually preferred, although computing is a peculiar field for the term. For instance hard disk and other disk drives are always thusly spelled, yet so are terms like compact discs. Thus, if referring to a physical drive or older media (3" or 5.25" diskettes) the k is used, but is used for newer (optical based) media.
a thin, flat, circular plate
something resembling a disk
a vinyl phonograph / gramophone record
a computer's hard disk
Disc or disk may refer to:
- Aluminum disc, a magnetic recording disc used mainly for early radio recordings
- Blu-ray Disc, a high-density optical disc intended mainly for video storage
- Compact Disc, a form of optical disc used mainly for audio data
- Disc film, a still-photography film format
- Disk storage, a general category of data storage mechanisms
- DVD, a form of optical disc used mainly for video and other data
- Enhanced Versatile Disc, an optical medium-based digital audio/video format under development (shortform EVD)
- Floppy disk, a magnetic data storage device using a flexible disc
- Hard disk drive, a non-volatile magnetic data storage device
- HD DVD, a high-density optical disc intended mainly for video storage
- Laserdisc, the first commercial optical disc storage medium
- MiniDisc, a magneto-optical disc-based data storage device
- Optical disc, a polycarbonate disc
- RAM disk, a volatile solid state drive
- Transcription disc, a gramophone record
- A generic name for secondary storage in a computer
- Accretion disk, diffuse material in orbital motion around a central body such as a star or black hole
- Death Inducing Signaling Complex, in biology, a multi-protein complex formed by members of the death receptor family of apoptosis-inducing cellular receptors
- Debris disk, a ring shaped circumstellar disk of dust and debris in orbit around a star
- DISC assessment, in psychology, a group of psychometric tests based on the work of William Moulton Marston
- Disc (galaxy), a disc-shaped group of stars
- Disk (mathematics), the region in a plane surrounded by a circle
- Intervertebral disc, in biology, part of the spine of an animal
- Protoplanetary disk, a rotating disc of dense gas surrounding a newly formed star, a form of accretion disc
- Scattered disc, a distant region of the Solar System thinly populated by icy minor planets
- Unit disk, a disc (mathematics) with radius one
- DİSK, the Confederation of Revolutionary Trade Unions of Turkey
- Disc jockey, a person who selects and plays pre-recorded music for an audience
- Flying disc, a throwing toy or Frisbee
- Dundee International Sports Centre, a sports centre in Scotland
See alsospelling of disc
disk in Bulgarian: Диск
disk in Catalan: Disc (desambiguació)
disk in Czech: Disk
disk in Modern Greek (1453-): Δίσκος
disk in Persian: دیسک (ابهامزدایی)
disk in French: Disque
disk in Korean: 디스크
disk in Hebrew: דיסק
disk in Japanese: ディスク
disk in Russian: Диск
disk in Simple English: Disk
disk in Slovak: Disk
disk in Swedish: Disk
O, annular muscle, annulus, areola, aureole, carousel, chaplet, circle, circuit, circumference, circus, closed circle, coat, coating, collop, corona, coronet, covering, crown, cut, cycle, deal, diadem, discus, eternal return, fairy ring, feuille, film, flap, foil, fold, garland, glory, halo, lamella, lamina, laminated glass, laminated wood, lap, lasso, leaf, logical circle, loop, looplet, magic circle, membrane, merry-go-round, noose, orbit, pane, panel, patina, peel, pellicle, plait, plank, plate, plating, ply, plywood, radius, rasher, ring, roller, rolling stone, rondelle, rotator, rotor, round, roundabout, roundel, rundle, safety glass, saucer, scum, sheet, skin, slab, slat, slice, sphincter, table, tablet, top, veneer, vicious circle, wafer, wheel, whirlabout, whirler, whirligig, wreath